Friday 30 November 2007

A ghostly apparition

Today I wanted to share the story of the day I saw a ghost and how I know this was not a figment of my imagination.

There are many people in this world who are sceptical about angels, ghosts, aliens and the like but just because science cannot prove it does not mean its not a reality. The story I am about to tell is a truthful account of what happened and the feelings I felt.

Not long before I was born (twenty seven years ago) my parents bought a newly built house in the suburbs of Leicester, this house was built on land formerly owned by a local farmer who had retired and not passed the farm on due to his son taking a different career path.

As a very young boy I don't remember any feelings of ill ease from within the property until I was around seven years of age. At this time I vividly remember one evening when my mum asked me to collect her book from her bed side table. I ventured up the stairs and crossed the upper hallway to my mothers bedroom (I was the only person upstairs at this point). I picked up the book but from reaching my mothers bedroom to picking up the book it felt like someone was close behind me the whole time. Due to this I ran as fast as I could back downstairs with the book. This does not give any direct truth that there was a ghost but there is a lot more to this story.

As I grew older I and all my other siblings (I am from a large family) always felt uneasy when in my mothers bedroom or the room below which were additions to the property after it was built. When in these rooms we always felt their was a presence there.

When I was just short of my tenth birthday I woke up in the middle of the night and turned to climb out of bed to go to the bathroom when I froze. Across the upper hallway there was a Victorian girl no older than about seven years old, she was wearing a gown and white bonnet on her head and moving from the corner where my mothers bedroom was to the bedroom of two of my sisters.

I was young and extremely scared, I was rigid and did not dare to move a muscle in case she sensed me there. After a few moments she passed in to my sisters bedroom and disappeared...needless to say I did not sleep well that night.

I woke up in the morning and told my mother, all she said was that she didn't want me scaring my sisters or brother so not to say a thing. I did not mention anything to my sisters or brother for quite a few years and always slept with the door closed from then on.

When I was around eighteen my sister (the one who's room the ghostly apparition ventured in to) told me and my older sister the story of one night when she was asleep and woke to see a young girl sitting on the end of her bed, at first she thought it was our youngest sister and asked what she was doing, it was only when the ghostly apparition turned to her that she realised it was not our sister, but a Victorian girl. Remember at this point I had not told my sister about my story and she did not know anything of my encounter.

My older sister then recounted a story of when her friend and her had stayed in this same bedroom and during the night she was awoken by someone slapping her hand hard as she was sleeping with it hanging out the bed. When she woke she looked around and no one was there except for her friend who was sleeping soundly in the bed on the opposite side. My sister then lay in bed and could hear scraping sounds along the floor to the side of the bed her hand was and became scared.

It was then that I recounted my story to my sisters....

So you see not only did I have a story to tell but my sisters also have stories that back up my claims....although this wont stop the sceptics. I know what I saw and trust what my sisters tell me.

What we did later find out, after my family moved from the house, is that the property was built on forest land rather than an old farmers field. Not only this but we also know that people had been murdered in this old forest many years ago, even that a man once received the death penalty for mudering a young girl.

When I was about twenty I was talking to my father who advised me that ghosts are the apparition of people who died a gruesome death and did not realise they had passed on. Could this be true? If it is it would explain why many people still see and hear the ghosts of German, English and French soldiers fighting in the battlefields of World War One.

0 comments: